Peacock Copper Ore witnessed falling from sky.

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Peacock Copper Ore witnessed falling from sky.

Postby graphicsfix » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:43 pm

When I was a child this rock fell from the sky with a swoosh and a bang leaving a trail of smoke behind it. it was hot at first. It appears to be chalcopyrite/bornite, is not magnetic and weighs 46g. Its blue/green with traces of gold and purple. it fell in England but found a news story of a man is the US with a near identical rock that he said he thought fell from the sky although it has been dismissed as 'more than likely terrestrial peacock copper ore' http://meteorite-identification.com/mwnews/06212006a.htm. Does bornite form in volcano's and could this have been flung into orbit by an eruption?

graphicsfix

Re: Peacock Copper Ore witnessed falling from sky.

Postby Mark Ford » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:16 pm

No, There are no known volcanic rocks that have entered orbit, the escape velocity of the earth would mean that a small rock of that size would need so much energy to escape it would most likely vaporise.

To be honest there's no way that it could be from space it would have had to undergo re-entry and that means heat! which means fusion crust! And it doesn't appear to have any, secondly if it's a copper ore then well.. It's from earth.

Sorry to sound negative but I'd be 100% confident that's from earth, so either someone was playing a joke or it' came from a bonfire or something!
Mark Ford

Postby graphicsfix » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:42 pm

You will notice that one side is entirely black. that is not shadow. being as it is not made of iron is there a standard model for fusion cores for copper objects? This could not have been a joke or from a bonfire as i saw it fall in a straight line at great speed and it hit at such velocity that it broke the hull of a wooden boat. It appeared a lot larger in the sky as i noticed it from a distance.
graphicsfix

Postby msg-meteorites » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:11 pm

Sorry to be negative bit i agree with Mark, definitely not a meteorite. Not sure what or how come you saw it fall but not like any meteorite at all that i have ever seen.

Great story though :-)

Cheers

Martin
Martin Goff
www.msg-meteorites.co.uk
IMCA member 3387
msg-meteorites

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:24 pm

graphicsfix wrote:You will notice that one side is entirely black. that is not shadow. being as it is not made of iron is there a standard model for fusion cores for copper objects? This could not have been a joke or from a bonfire as i saw it fall in a straight line at great speed and it hit at such velocity that it broke the hull of a wooden boat. It appeared a lot larger in the sky as i noticed it from a distance.

Chris Pellant's excellent Rocks and Minerals says chalcopyrite and bornite are generally formed in hydrothermal veins. So, either of these minerals would need a warm and wet environment to form. Our knowledge of other options is limited, but it would suggest that Earth is by far the most likely source of the material, if that is what they are.

Whereabouts was the boat?
David Entwistle

Return to BIMS Open Forum