Identification please

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Identification please

Postby Fundort » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:42 pm

Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum and have - so far - never been into meteorites. However, last summer on a holiday to the north-west of Ireland, I found a small rock on the beach, that looked somehow intriguing. I kept looking and found two other pieces within an area of about 120 sqm. On the rest of the beach, there were none like them. Partly their surface looked charred and molten, so I came up with the idea of having found pieces of a meteorite.

P1030260.jpg

P1030265.jpg

P1030268.jpg

The pieces (30g in total) were magnetic, so - despite the odds - I started a little research. I found out that actually in 2011 a fireball was observed in the north-west of ireland, near where I found the pieces. I took my research to the next level: A friend of mine, who is an analytical chemist, tried to dissolve a tiny sample with acid to analyze it. For some reason, that did not work out, which - according to him - was strange. Then he used X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy on a larger sample (bottom picture, left piece) to find out more. The result was as follows:

Iron ~ 60 %
Magnesium ~ 16 %
Aluminium ~ 8 %
Silicium ~ 4 %

There were also quantities of about 2 % of each Chlorine, Sulphur an Potassium detected (which might have shown up due to the exposure to the sea). Furthermore, the sample contained smaller quantities of Ta, Zn, P, Cd, Ba (around 0,5 - 1 %) and traces of Sn, Sr, Ag, Cu, Mn, Ti, Zr, Ir, Ca, Cr, U, Au and Th. Other elements (approximately a dozen) were detected as well, but in such low quantities, that those are likely to be irrelevant.

As far as my research goes, the abscence of nickel is a strong point against having found pieces of a meteorite. On the other hand, the alloy of the elements is quite strange and wouldn't be useful for industrial purposes, I was told.

So I am asking your opinion on my find. I won't be dissapointed, if I didn't get lucky - at least I learned a lot about meteorites in the process... :)

Thank you very much in advance!

Christine
Fundort

Re: Identification please

Postby Kieron » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi Christine,

I think I can see vesicles - small holes/voids caused by escaping gases. If so, this would argue against these being meteorites. I suspect that they are pieces of industrial slag, but would be glad to be proved wrong. Well done on the research front though - I hope you keep up your new found interest in meteorites.

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Re: Identification please

Postby Barwellian » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi...always good to hear of possible meteorite finds, but as Kieron says they are probably industrial slag...the most common "meteorwrong" that is shown to us.
When I do outreach work I have samples of slag with me to show the difference between it and genuine meteorites.

As you say the absence of Nickel points to it not being a meteorite....very rarely we do get complete impact melt meteorites with some vesicles that are infact a similar glassy matrix to slag but they will have Nickel in still....the only exception would be perhaps a Lunar or Mars impact melt....but in my experience there has never been one of those that is complete impact melt.

The melting on all meteorites apart from impact melts (which is a process that happens during impacts in space) is only apparent on the surface due to ablation in it's hot flight...so the melted fusion crust is only roughly 1mm thick...all the other melt ablates away as it happens until the end of the hot flight then the last 1mm surface solidifies leaving the inside pristine and unchanged and still cold as space...it appears your samples are melt all through if I am not mistaken.

I hope that helps...but keep looking...they are around and the more people who are looking then the more likely we will gain a new UK meteorite.

Some more interesting references....

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrong ... wrongs.htm

http://tinyurl.com/lljdmbb

Cheers,

Graham
Barwellian

Return to BIMS Open Forum