Meteorite testing

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Meteorite testing

Postby mali » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi all,

Im new to the forum.

A friend of mine has a rock that we believe is a meteorite.

Where can we get this potential meteorite tested to confirm one way or another in the London area and how much would this cost?

Many thanks in advance

Mali
mali

Re: Meteorite testing

Postby Kieron » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi Mali,

If you would consider posting some pictures and/or a description here you would get some honest opinions from long-time and experienced collectors. Failing that I am sure one of the curators at the Natural History Museum would have a look at it for you and it wouldn't cost you anything. Good luck - I hope you are right :-)

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Postby mali » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi Kieron,

Thanks for replying. My friend has emailed the photos to the address on your front page britishmeteorite@gmail.com but hasnt heard anything back yet.
He would rather wait for a response before posting photographs in the forum.

Regards

Mali
mali

Postby mali » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi again,

My friend still hasn't had any reply from britishmeteorite@gmail.com where he sent the photographs.

Does anybody actually monitor that account and look at the emails that are sent in? Could an admin please advise.

Many Thanks

Mali
mali

Postby Kieron » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:30 pm

Hi Mali,

Yes, I am fairly certain that the email address is monitored by one of our long-time members. I will follow it up for you.

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Postby mali » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:24 pm

That would be very kind of you.

Many thanks
mali

Postby metalman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:01 pm

hi I also have a rock I would like testing , I have previously posted pictures on hear and after doing further tests on it myself I am fairly confident I have a meteorite , but I need a expert to examine it properly but cant find any way of contacting an expert , I live in the Wirral area , any information would be great help.
thanks, paul .
metalman

Postby Kieron » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:45 pm

metalman wrote:hi I also have a rock I would like testing , I have previously posted pictures on hear and after doing further tests on it myself I am fairly confident I have a meteorite , but I need a expert to examine it properly but cant find any way of contacting an expert , I live in the Wirral area , any information would be great help.
thanks, paul .

Hi Paul,

Manchester Museum has a good collection of meteorites. Perhaps one of the curators there might have a look at your find?

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Postby Barwellian » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:38 am

Hi...if you upload photos to this thread on the forum we could perhaps help with initial advice.

Graham
Barwellian

Postby metalman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:27 am

thanks guys , bit of info about it
I have a metal stone? its the size of an egg, thin 1mm burnt crust , its magnetic, found with a metal detector ,
it has a density of 7.8, leaves no mark on a ceramic tile, and I have spent the last 18 months trying to match it to another mineral to no avail, I also put pics on another forum , American I think an no one had a clue what it was.
I am itching for an answer, will upload some pics later guys. cheers ,paul.
metalman

Next

Return to BIMS Open Forum