Help with identification

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Help with identification

Postby dave1978 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:50 am

I found this stone out walking, it was on a stone track path on the surface. Its 55mm x 30mmx 30mm, quite heavy and magnetic. As you will see in th pictures it has a molten face with all other faces broken. Any help with confirming what it is ?

thanks for looking

Dave
dave1978

Re: Help with identification

Postby Kieron » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting this - I can see why you think it might be a meteorite.

Having said that, my first impression is that it isn't one. This is mainly because the broken faces and the 'molten' face appear to be the same colour. I would expect the interior of the stone to be lighter in colour than any dark 'fusion crust' formed on its surface by heating as it passed through the atmosphere.

Can you see if there are any round hollows/voids in the rock that might have been formed by trapped gases? If there are any, then it is more likely to be a man-made object such as industrial slag.

Either way, good luck with getting this identified. I expect others will chip in soon with their opinions.

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Re: Help with identification

Postby Barwellian » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:17 am

Hi Dave...I'm in agreement with Kieron...looks like manmade or terrestrial material....if you file an edge and find small metal flakes then it still could be slag but still a possibility of an impact melt meteorite...some carbonaceous meteorites are also black all through...but usually grey/black with small multiple inclusion/condrules....usually quite fragile too.

How magnetic is it....? does it snap to the magnet very strongly or not...that info helps work things out too..

Good luck,

Graham
Barwellian

Return to BIMS Open Forum