Still looking for what put hole in fence NEW FIND

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Still looking for what put hole in fence NEW FIND

Postby PH12FAT » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:36 pm

Hi sorry to bother you chaps again as I mentioned before We were woken a couple of months ago with load bang and next morning discovered hole in fence mystery? Well now I'm more determined than ever and ive found a new rock it has a strange reverse effect when a magnet is put near you can feel it trying to push the magnet away and when I did the rub test it took porcelain off the bootom of till left no mark it is also a little bit irrediscent when you look at the black possible crust rock looks like coal but isn't its very hard and left a silver/grey inside when I cut a corner back again please your honest opinions thanks :D
http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/phils ... rary/Rocks
PH12FAT

Re: Still looking for what put hole in fence NEW FIND

Postby Kieron » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi,

Sorry, but I am not convinced by these stones either. What I would like to see however is a photo of the hole in the fence, if that is possible?

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Postby PH12FAT » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:46 pm

Will pop outside now and take a few for you
PH12FAT

Postby Kieron » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:01 pm

Excellent. Are you able to say on which side the fence was struck?
Kieron

Postby PH12FAT » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:20 pm

ok looking at it again it has been struck on my side and at the top left corner as theres still a piece of wood bent in towards next door ive uploaded pics to photobucket[url][/url]http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/philszipy/library/Rocks
PH12FAT

Postby PH12FAT » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:21 pm

I know its not connected to this but what do you classify as a fireball?
PH12FAT

Postby Kieron » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:46 pm

PH12FAT wrote:ok looking at it again it has been struck on my side and at the top left corner as theres still a piece of wood bent in towards next door

Thanks for the photos. I guess that means you need to be looking for the meteorite on your neighbour's side of the fence. By the way, keep hold of the broken pieces of timber as they will be worth something if you do prove that this was a meteorite impact.

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Postby PH12FAT » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:58 pm

Wow really OK will do Where's best place for info on fireballs only I have a medical condition and the side effects of the medication is I don't sleep until 3-4 in morning and a few weeks ago I watch a beautiful bright green what I'd say was a shooting star but a little big bigger and a lot lower infact I lost it from sight as it dipped below the houses across from us soon after the glow had gone and I'm assuming it touched down in the fields approx. 3/4 of a mile away I keep saying I'm going to look for it but havn't yet had the chance plus those fields will be very muddy at the minute it was between 23-29 November cant remember which day but it was a lot bigger than most shooting stars and ive never seen one so bright and such a wonderful colour.
PH12FAT

Postby Barwellian » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:48 am

Hi Phil...unfortunately fireballs do all the spectacular stuff between 50 and 20 km up in the atmosphere and then if anything survives it drops from there at a much lower speed in what's called "dark flight" as our atmosphere is so thick and protects us....if they reach the ground with speed from space and still as a fireball they have to be huge and thus when they hit they have explosive energy and form biggish craters...so a) if it came down and dropped meteorites it would be many miles away and c) we would have all known about it...it would have made the news...as did the two that managed to do that in the last 100years....so I'm afraid it's likely what you saw did not drop anything nearby. It is often the case people think they are much nearer than they really are.
Barwellian

Postby David Entwistle » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:35 pm

PH12FAT wrote:I know its not connected to this but what do you classify as a fireball?

Hi,

The International Meteor Organization provide the following information regarding fireballs:

The definition of a fireball is somewhat arbitrary and in the literature the required minimum magnitude varies between about -2 mag to -6 mag. In the IMO Fireball Data Center (FIDAC), we regard meteors of at least apparent magnitude -3 mag (corrected for zenith position) as fireballs. By zenithal magnitude we mean the brightness the meteor would have if it had appeared in the zenith of the observing site. As an example, a meteor appearing like -1 mag may actually be a fireball if it moves only a few degrees above the horizon. The apparent brightness decreases with the square of the distance between object and observer, and furthermore, the absorption of the light is proportional to the optical pathlength as well. In the case of a near-horizon meteor, the distance to the observer is very large resulting in a strong reduction of the apparent brightness.

So, a seriously bright meteor - the sort of thing that would cause you to exclaim out loud.
David Entwistle

Return to BIMS Open Forum