JUST ACID ETCHED IS THIS RITE

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

JUST ACID ETCHED IS THIS RITE

Postby PH12FAT » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:06 am

Hi just finished 5th attempt to etch this result is combination of phosphorous acid and a quick dip in pcb etchant it looks very pretty close up shame I couldn't find a way to highlight or enhance the raised sections of I assume the nickel or darken the lower iron parts.
Does the fact that when acid was used it made this pattern mean it is almost certainly an iron meteorite?
Also I used an alloy wheel protector spray to seal it anyone else use this before its by autoglym http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/philszipy/library/
PH12FAT

Re: JUST ACID ETCHED IS THIS RITE

Postby Barwellian » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:16 am

I'm afraid that there is no pattern showing there that relates to a typical meteorite at all....have you tested for Nickel?
Barwellian

Postby PH12FAT » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:16 pm

When i first etched it there was a definate pattern emerge like there should be but it wasnt very clear so i tried longer and left it far far to long and ended up with a black surface covered in pitting i have now taken it right back again and i think ill just go for highly polished finish no not tested for nickel but this was caught on cctv it hit the neighbours garage roof bounced off and landed next to our car, it tore a piece off the side if garage i have kept the piece of roof and the meteorite fits in the broken part perfectly i did post in hear at time but no replies guess pics were poor i put up and for some reason my iphone makes what is black look more brown
PH12FAT

Postby Barwellian » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:37 pm

But what was caught on cctv?...would be most surprised if it was the stone hitting....and if it was a fireball then this stone would not be associated with it as it would be too far away...you still need to get a test for nickel and a typical pattern to show before anyone will consider it is a meteorite. Over the years there have been many people report similar things happening....nearly all of them end up with another explanation (stones falling from wheels of aircraft or from other machinery, local pranksters, vandalism etc) once the stones are tested and turn out to be terrestrial.

Good luck though...always a chance...but the only way to make sure is to get the tests to show positive.

G
Barwellian

Postby PH12FAT » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:51 pm

Hi just pm you
PH12FAT

Return to BIMS Open Forum