Strathmore Meteorite Centenary

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Strathmore Meteorite Centenary

Postby pdavidson » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:43 am

2017 marks the centenary of the fall of the Strathmore Meteorite. To celebrate this occasion, I am planning to put on a small exhibition in the museum part of which will re-unite the four main fragments of the fall in one display case. The museum (National Museums Scotland) has two of the fragments and the other two are lodged with Perth Museum and the Natural History Museum and we will apply to borrow these very soon. I am also determined to involve the wider meteorite community in some way and one idea would be to look at ways members (or others) might lend material for the exhibition. Areas I might look at are:- displaying pieces of other UK and Irish falls or finds, interesting artwork based on, or inspired by meteorites and articles that have been fashioned from meteoritic materials such as jewellery, knives, watches, or indeed anything which might be of interest. This is the first time I have looked at "crowd-sourcing" as a way of borrowing material for exhibition and I would be interested to see how it goes. If you are interested in contributing, please contact me at: p.davidson@nms.ac.uk. I will consider all serious offers and suggestions.
Pete Davidson
Senior Curator
National Museums Scotland
pdavidson

Return to BIMS Open Forum