A meteorite,

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

A meteorite,

Postby Antiquarian » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Hello all,
I am new in this forum, i probably am not as expert as you people are.... sliced and polished face, and its primitive achondrite.
Closely a Lunaites... any comments from you guys will be appreciated,
Attachments
Img 908.jpg
Img 903.jpg
Antiquarian

Re: A meteorite,

Postby Barwellian » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:02 pm

Sorry but nothing like any achondrite or lunar meteorite I have ever seen...what makes you think it is a meteorite?...looks just like a terrestrial stone to me. I can't see any reason at all that this can be a meteorite.....and I have seen, found and handled thousands which have all been officially tested and confirmed as meteorites. What are the circumstances of the find and how have you tested or concluded it is a meteorite?

They are out there somewhere so always good to keep looking but if you find something then it has to have the right characteristics first and then it might get tested at one of the Universities if you contact them....

Cheers,

Graham
Barwellian

Postby Antiquarian » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:58 pm

I appreciate your input Graham, but i still want to show you some more stuff despite your questioning. I sure will answer you all later. All images are (always) taken in natural day light and published as it is without any sort of alteration.
Regmaglypted or Oriented Primitive rock, guess you gonna click the image for better view.
Attachments
Img 477.jpg
Img 492.jpg
Img 484.jpg
Antiquarian

Postby Antiquarian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:15 am

This rock unusually is completely fusion crusted. Sorry for the images, can't take any better photos than these of this possible achondrite? if i'm not wrong ;).
Attachments
Img 233.jpg
Img 223.jpg
Img 209.jpg
Antiquarian

Postby Barwellian » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:16 am

Sorry but I cannot see any evidence of typical regmaglypts or any fusion crust on either of these...they are just terrestrial stones I'm afraid....if you are still convinced you need to take them to a meteoriticist at one of the bigger Universities....although most geologists may well be able to tell you what type of terrestrial stone they are. I recommend you familiarize yourself more with the characteristics of meteorite/achondrites some more if you are still hunting for them. Richard Nortons books are some of the best to help....and plenty more on the internet.
Barwellian

Postby Antiquarian » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:47 am

Right characteristics first:
Apart from fusion crust & thumbprints meteorites also have flow lines which exactly are visible in my 3rd post, in 1st two pictures above, broken fragment probably of an iron meteorite.

I joined this forum for education purpose but nothing else, education does not mean that i will need or ask for any sort of identification or classification, but some rocks that they really are worth to show you, and photos that i take in daylight are quite different looking from others then taken in artificial lights.

I talk about achondrites.. Melt rock, probably a primitive achondrite,
Attachments
Img 534.jpg
Img 518.jpg
Img 478.jpg
Antiquarian

Postby Antiquarian » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Another PAC, please correct me if i'm wrong...
Attachments
Img 3.jpg
Img 1.jpg
Img 2.jpg
Antiquarian

Postby Antiquarian » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:19 am

Now sanded face of iron rock already posted above in post no 3....To me this possibly is Winonaite,
Attachments
Img 099.jpg
Img 137.jpg
Img 086.jpg
Antiquarian

Postby Antiquarian » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:25 am

This is now sanded already posted above in post no 4....to me this possibly is Shergotty, could be mistaken though but any comment are welcomed.
Attachments
Img 397.jpg
Img 365.jpg
Img 374.jpg
Antiquarian

Postby Antiquarian » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Sawn and slightly polished face of this stony iron looking rock.
Attachments
Img 253.jpg
Img 262.jpg
Img 268.jpg
Antiquarian

Next

Return to BIMS Open Forum