Auction: The Rob Elliott Meteorite Collection: Part II

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Auction: The Rob Elliott Meteorite Collection: Part II

Postby David Entwistle » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Lyon and Turnbull have now published the lot details for Sale No 326 - The Robert Elliott Meteorite Collection: Part II.
David Entwistle

Re: Auction: The Rob Elliott Meteorite Collection: Part II

Postby Matt Smith » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Wow, you're quick David! I had checked L&T this afternoon and it still hadn't been posted... doesn't seem to be loading in my browser (none of the others do either), will have to check it out on my phone!

Matt.
Matt Smith
Site Admin

Postby msg-meteorites » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Just sitting having a coffee perusing the catalog. Some goodies there, not long left to save up though!
Martin Goff
www.msg-meteorites.co.uk
IMCA member 3387
msg-meteorites

Postby Matt Smith » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:09 pm

The Bechar 001 is a real beauty, I've drooled over that in person :) It will look good in my cell when I'm serving time for armed robbery!

(to avoid confusion, I *am* joking about the armed robbery... I'm not quite that desperate!)
Matt Smith
Site Admin

Postby David Entwistle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:55 pm

I see that the facility to bid live is now available.
David Entwistle

Postby Matt Smith » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Just had my attention drawn to lot 40, any Micheal Jackson fans in BIMS?

http://www.lyonandturnbull.com/asp/full ... o=++143691
Matt Smith
Site Admin

Postby Barwellian » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:21 pm

Rob was telling me that story when I was up there earlier this year....think he has some bent spoons from Uri....but no bent iron meteorites unfortunately :)
Barwellian

Postby RobElliott » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi guys!
Thanks for the plug. Yes, the bidding is now live and I do have a few "Uri-spoons" for any visiting auctioneers that want one. I took him to the NHM, London some years ago to meet everyone in Mineralogy Dept. That was a very bizzarre but fun day!!

A few complimentary auction catalogues arrived here from Lyon and Turnbull yesterday, and I have to say that the photography is very nicely done. The first 2009 catalogue wasn't at all bad, but the Part II images are SO much better. I'm not sure if there's a minimal charge or not, but I'd recommend grabbing a copy from L&T (I'm posing on Page 3!!!)

Hope to see many of you at Fernlea on 16th for auction-eve jolly japes over some haggis and general beeriness. Everyone is welcome - just let me know in advance please.

Cheers,
Rob.
Rob Elliott
www.meteorites.uk.com
Fernlea Meteorites,
The Wynd,
Off Dickson Lane,
Milton of Balgonie,
Fife. KY7 6PY
United Kingdom
Telephone: 01592-751563
Mobile: 07880-888660
International Tel: +44-1592-751563
Email: fernlea4@aol.com
PC # 1
RobElliott

Postby Barwellian » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi Rob,

Yes the Catalogue looks great....one arrived in the post today? I will definitely be there for the beer and Haggis. I got a message from Scott Johnson of the USA who is in Aberdeen at the moment and may be around still for the auction/eve doo but he might have to leave at a moments notice...so not definite (long story). I have offered him a lift from Edinburgh if he can make it, but may be a last minute decision....would that be ok?

Trying to arrange a general meet up at the new bit of the Edinburgh Museum which opens this weekend around the auction date if anyone is interested. I have emailed Peter about it at the museum but I know he is really busy with the opening....so no reply yet.

Cheers all,

Graham
Barwellian

Postby RobElliott » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:46 am

Hi Graham.

Please tell Scott that he'll be very welcome to come over for the Fernlea do on the 16th. Let's hope that the weather stays fine.....no-one like soggy haggis!

I've had a couple of emails asking about the auction procedure/protocol in the sale room. I'm no expert but here's a couple of tips that have worked for me in the past........

Register at the front desk on arrival and you'll be given a card with a unique number. The lots appear on a video screen in sequence and the Lot number with brief description is called out. If you want to bid, raise your card; simple as that. It all happens fairly quickly, and the auctioneer will rattle through the Lots at some speed, taking bids from all sides in the room, online, and on the phones. One blessing is that they don't do that weird auctioneers mumbo-jumbo chatter, so everything is quite clear. It's broadcast live online too with added video and audio feed this time.

I'd recommend sitting at or near the back of the room. It can feel a bit awkward and intimidating if you're up against someone sitting behind you, and you can't see who you're bidding against.
The same may apply if you're sitting with your mates. If two of you start bidding on the same Lot, it's fun at first, but starts to get a bit serious pretty quickly.

I was at an auction in London many years ago when Rob Haag's Canyon Diablo "Meteorite Man" head came up, right out of the blue. I just left my hand in the air until I won it, so another ploy is to intimidate the opposition. Sold it back to Haag!

Any questions, just ask. The guys at Lyon and Turnbull are very pleasant and approachable, so don't hesitate to phone or email.

Cheers,
Rob.
Rob Elliott
www.meteorites.uk.com
Fernlea Meteorites,
The Wynd,
Off Dickson Lane,
Milton of Balgonie,
Fife. KY7 6PY
United Kingdom
Telephone: 01592-751563
Mobile: 07880-888660