Auction: The Rob Elliott Meteorite Collection: Part II

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Re: Auction: The Rob Elliott Meteorite Collection: Part II

Postby David Entwistle » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:09 pm

RobElliott wrote:Thanks for the plug.

I see that The Yorkshire Post are now on the case too, with a particular interest in Lot 63.

Yorkshire meteorite fragment may sell for £18,000 at auction

Published on Monday 1 August 2011 08:42

It CAME from outer space and crashed without warning on to Yorkshire.

Now 220 years later, a 13lb chunk of the four-billion-year-old Hambleton Meteorite is up for sale and is expected to fetch up to £18,000 at auction...
David Entwistle

Postby David Entwistle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:59 pm

The STV video, featuring Rob, is online here and should be here shortly.
David Entwistle

Postby Matt Smith » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:33 pm

I thought I'd add a few thoughts on the auction. Several BIMS members made it to the auction in person. We met up the previous evening at Rob's house for the Fernlea BBQ. A relaxed and pleasant affair, I must thank Rob and his family for their hospitality. The following morning we began at National Museum of Scotland, where Peter Davidson was kind enough to show us around the newly redeveloped museum and off-site collection centre, I'll post more about this when I've sorted the photographs out. We then made our way to the auction house, with sufficient time to register and view the collection before the auction began. 101 lot's were to go under the hammer, but thankfully not in the way many historic meteorites seem to be before reaching ebay these days!

There was a good crowd present in the room and as things got underway it seemed the auctioneer was taking his time to allow those unfamiliar with the procedures of an auction to get up to speed (I was one of those people!). The auction began with five Sikhote-Alin specimens that all did well, only one failing to reach the lower estimate (by just £10) and two exceeding the upper estimate. My impression overall was that most specimens achieved good prices although, as previously, the bigger specimens were often where a good deal was to be had. The first big specimen was an exquisite 9.5kg Gibeon, somebody will have been happy when they won it for £1200. Don't forget the buyers premium when you check the auction prices though, the buyer will actually have paid £1560 for this first class Gibeon, which still only represents about US$0.27/gram. As in the previous auction the Gibeon rings did very well (I would have said "surprisingly" well, as it surprised me last time, but it is clear they are popular items).

A few other random points taken from the notes I made at the time: The Belle Plaine piece (lot 62) was an exceptional full slice and to my mind one of the bargains of the auction, it sold for £550, equivalent to under US$2/g, a similar but slightly smaller slice is currently offered elsewhere on the web for US$2600. The Bechar 001 also found a new home at a bargain price. The Hambleton main mass appeared unsold at the end of the auction, but now appears sold at £9000. I cannot help wonder where it has gone to and I genuinely hope it finds it's way into a museum collection. As previously some of the lunars reached high prices as the audience for this auction extended well beyond the usual collectors. Lot 40 was the NWA stone with "Michael Jackson Interest", after some intense bidding on the telephones this reached an impressive £1100. The Bristol impact layer (lot 95) did very well, reaching £380 for 36g in four fragments. Lot 91, a 1.3g part-slice of Acfer 209 (CR2) reached a surprising £400 against an estimate of £100-150 (US$646/g for those keeping count). The auction finished on a high with lot 101, a 226g etched end-cut of the scarce Algerian IIIA iron Zerhamra, found in 1967. The estimate was £400-500, below the price this material had been offered at Fernlea previously, but I certainly wasn't ready for the fierce bidding that resulted in a hammer price of £2400 (~US$22/g).

There were plenty of bids taking place from those present in the room, but the majority came from the internet and telephones. Regarding the prices achieved a comment was made on the meteorite central mailing list that "I guess in the UK market people can spend some coins", but I have no doubt that a fair number of the commission, internet and telephone bids were likely to be coming from overseas. This was the first "proper" auction I attended, but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I've no idea if the UK will ever see another meteorite auction, but if it does then I'll definitely see you there!

Matt.

Note: it is entirely possible I've made errors in quoting numbers and doing the calculations in this post, please don't quote my values elsewhere and if you use them in any way please do so with care. I will not be held responsible for loss/damage/etc/etc.... ;)
Matt Smith
Site Admin

Postby RobElliott » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:08 am

Hi all.

A quick post-auction update from me.
First of all, my thanks to everyone who came along to the Tuesday BBQ and to the sale on Wednesday - I really do appreciate your support.
Thanks also to those that bid online, on the phone, etc. I hope you managed to grab a bargain or two!

The auction had it's usual blend of surprises, but I guess that's what happens when the general public make up the majority. The sale generated a huge amount of publicity on tv, radio and press, and I'm told that it was L&T's most publicised sale ever. Considering that they've been around since 1826, that's a pretty good position for a meteorite auction to be in. Apparently, there are ways of media tracking/measuring these things.
We arrived early on auction day......as we walked into the sale room, we bumped into comedian Paul Merton who had snuck in un-noticed to take a look at some meteorites.

I'm more than pleased with the totals, although I have to say that someone got a superb deal on the Bechar 001 (it cost me $7K many years ago). I remember reading an O. Richard Norton article about it in a Meteorite magazine article circa 1999, when the finders first announced it.

The slab of Hambleton had several commission bids and was effectively sold before the auction started. The Hambleton main mass sold about two hours after the auction closed......L&T called me as I was driving home to see if I'd accept an offer on it. I sold another 800g slab of Hambleton yesterday, to one of the un-succesful bidders. I don't have much left now!
And what about that Zerhamra?? I wasn't counting, but there must have been 20 bids going ping-pong with that one.

L&T are holding all of the un-sold meteorite lots for another few days and inviting after-sale offers. If there's anything there that grabs your fancy, phone them or send them an email with your offer. It's a good time to get a deal on anything left.

I have some pictures of the BBQ and sale room, but maybe someone can let me know how to post those here?.....or on the BIMS gallery?

Cheers,
Rob.
Rob Elliott
www.meteorites.uk.com
Fernlea Meteorites,
The Wynd,
Off Dickson Lane,
Milton of Balgonie,
Fife. KY7 6PY
United Kingdom
Telephone: 01592-751563
Mobile: 07880-888660
International Tel: +44-1592-751563
Email: fernlea4@aol.com
PC # 1
RobElliott

Postby Matt Smith » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:33 pm

A few images, courtesy of Rob:

PICT0003.JPG
BBQ guests check out the rather empty Fernlea collection room (From left: Graham Ensor, Kieron Heard, Matt Smith, Dr Martin Lee, Rob Elliott, Dr John Faithfull.

PICT0004.JPG
Lyon & Turnbull on the day of the auction.

PICT0005.JPG
Back of the auction room, the meteorites are visible in the glass cases, the Bechar 001 and large Gao are visible on the plinth to the left of the cabinets.
Matt Smith
Site Admin

Postby Matt Smith » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:39 pm

Three more, again courtesy of Rob. Remember you can click them to see the full size version:

PICT0008.JPG
A view of the balcony at Lyon & Turnbull, all the artwork was on display for a forthcoming auction.

PICT0009.JPG
The auctioneer's view.

PICT0012.JPG
The meteorites. The Hambleton main mass is in the centre of the bottom left shelf.
Matt Smith
Site Admin

Postby Entropydave » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:27 am

Im really happy this went off so well - just wish i could have been there!

ho hum....
--
-d-
"Even [...] I [...] can [...] be [...] quoted [...] out [...] of [...] context." -Noah Webster, Webster's Dictionary
Entropydave

Postby msg-meteorites » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:24 am

Yep, thanks for the photos Rob and for posting them Matt. If you have anything else to fill a 2013 auction part 3 then i will diary it in now! ;-)
Martin Goff
www.msg-meteorites.co.uk
IMCA member 3387
msg-meteorites

Previous

Return to BIMS Open Forum