Ulster Museum Meteorite on BBC News

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Ulster Museum Meteorite on BBC News

Postby David Entwistle » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi,

Nice to see one of the Ulster Museum meteorites and Mike Simms making it on to the BBC Northern Ireland news.

Vesta meteorite on show at Ulster Museum

Nasa has spent half a billion dollars sending its Dawn probe 188 million km (117 million miles) from Earth to study the asteroid Vesta.

It is the second most massive body in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter and the brightest in the solar system.

Vesta has been rolling through deep space since the Sun, Earth and other planets were born, 4.5 billion years ago.

And there's a piece of it in Belfast.
David Entwistle

Re: Ulster Museum Meteorite on BBC News

Postby MeteoritesEire » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:19 pm

funny that the article doesn't tell us what it is.I'm thinking millbillillie or camel donga?
Can't remember seeing either of those last time I was at the museum although it was before the recent refit.
Mike did take me into the backrooms for a quick look thru some of the drawers -thanks again Mike if you're reading this
MeteoritesEire

Postby Barwellian » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:42 pm

It says it fell in Western Australia in 1960....so almost certainly Millbillillie. Camel Donga was 1984. When I looked up Camel Donga I was surprised how many different Camel Donga numbers and types there were until I found that Camel Donga is a large region rather than a town in Oz?
Barwellian

Postby Barwellian » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:01 am

It says it fell in Western Australia in 1960....so almost certainly Millbillillie. Camel Donga was 1984. When I looked up Camel Donga I was surprised how many different Camel Donga numbers and types there were until I realized that Camel Donga is a large region rather than a town in Oz? Seems like there are many Oz meteorites named in that way...eg Mundrabilla....not just the iron we know but also lots of OCs and a Howardite. All new to me.
Barwellian

Postby MeteoritesEire » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:29 pm

I hadn't even noticed the 1960 bit

also I've just viewed a pic from a friends recent visit to the museum and the millbillillie is just about visible with a sign
MeteoritesEire

Return to BIMS Open Forum