Natural History Museum tours: Science Uncovered

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Natural History Museum tours: Science Uncovered

Postby David Entwistle » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:32 pm

The Natural History Museum are running a series of tours as part of the Science Uncovered event on 23rd September 2011. This includes Unlocking The Vault...

Uncover some of the science stories behind The Vault gallery's dazzling collection of gems, metals and meteorites.
Meeting point: Minerals gallery entrance.
Tours start at 18.00, run half-hourly, last tour 21.30.
Capacity: 20
Booking Required

I'm not sure how you go about booking.
David Entwistle

Re: Natural History Museum tours: Science Uncovered

Postby David Entwistle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:46 pm

There are some more details of this event on The Guardian web site.

At the space station, Dr Caroline Smith, curator of meteorites and a UK Space Agency Aurora fellow, will put some very precious items on display. "People will be able to say that they've held a meteorite. It'll be the oldest thing they will have ever seen … about 4.6 billion years old."

Smith will also host a live link-up with her colleagues at Nasa and the European Space Agency in the museum's Attenborough Studio, and later in the evening she will answer questions at the science bar. In other words she has a busy evening ahead of her. "I don't think I'll have time to do any sneaking away … but the thing that I would be most keen to see if I could would be the Crime Scene, although I think I might be a bit squeamish about the maggots."
David Entwistle

Return to BIMS Open Forum