Three new UK/Eire meteorite finds?

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Three new UK/Eire meteorite finds?

Postby Kieron » Tue May 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Hello Folks,

I have recently been in contact with the Horniman Museum in south London, to ask about any meteorites they might hold in their collection. I am told that in addition to a Muonionalusta they have chondrites from Clogher Strand and Smerwick Harbour (both in Kerry) and a eucrite from Ardnamurchan in the Inner Hebrides. These form part of a mineral collection bequeathed by the late Arthur Wyatt, an English amateur geologist. Naturally I am arranging to view these and will report back here, hopefully with some good news.

Regards, Kieron
Kieron

Re: Three new UK/Eire meteorite finds?

Postby Matt Smith » Tue May 17, 2011 7:48 pm

Sounds intriguing, I look forward to hearing more (and photos?? ;) )
Matt Smith
Site Admin

Postby Barwellian » Tue May 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi Kieron...

Sounds interesting....I investigated one which was on show in a small museum on one of the scottish Isles...trying to remember now which one....will track it down....which seems in the end to be bog iron. One geologist up there had investigated and came to that conclusion and promised to send me a sample so I could test it on the SEM...but nothing ever came. Too far to go just at the present moment....but intend to follow it up again sometime.

Good luck...hope they turn out to be more than slag or bog iron.

Graham
Barwellian

Postby MillyBilly » Wed May 25, 2011 3:35 pm

Beware what ye seek...
There is more than one meaning for the term "Chondrites". Those from Kerry are actually a type of fossil burrow in the Silurian rocks there! As for the eucrite from Ardnamurchan, it is indeed eucrite (a type of basalt) and there is a whole mountain of it, but all of it is terrestrial and only ~60 million years old!
So, saved you some disappointment.
Mike Simms
Geology Curator, Ulster Museum
MillyBilly

Postby Kieron » Wed May 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi Mike,

Disappointing yes, but I am glad you pointed it out. However, these specimens are listed by the museum as meteorites so I think I should still take a look, if only to set the record straight.

Thanks for the advice.

Best wishes, Kieron
Kieron

Return to BIMS Open Forum