120114 - BBC Stargazing Live

BIMS news forum, these are the items you read on the main BIMS page. BIMS members please feel free to add comments and discuss the items in this forum.

120114 - BBC Stargazing Live

Postby Matt Smith » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:26 am

The BBC's Stargazing Live events begin today. There are 375 events listed on their page here. BIMS member Graham Ensor is providing a meteorite display for the Stargazing Oxford event at Oxford University, to quote the web-page "A winter festival of all things space-related!". The BBC page only seems to allow you to search by location or date, but if you spot any more meteorite related events please feel free to add them to this forum thread.
Matt Smith
Site Admin

Re: 120114 - BBC Stargazing Live

Postby David Entwistle » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:20 pm

Matt Smith wrote:.... if you spot any more meteorite related events please feel free to add them to this forum thread.

Stornoway Library - Wednesday 18th January 2012 at 06.30pm. (see link for details).
Subject: Meteorites and Moon Rocks (for a junior audience, but all welcome).
Speaker: Rob McCafferty.
Last edited by David Entwistle on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Entwistle

Postby David Entwistle » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:25 pm

18 January 2012
16:30 - 21:00
Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh (western gate) (see link for details).
Meet at the front desk of the John Hope Gateway

Free activities for all the family - telescope viewing sessions, get hands-on with meteorites, comet making demonstrations, find out about lichens in space, design your own mini Mars marauder, expert talks, storytelling sessions, free star guides and activity packs.
Last edited by David Entwistle on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Entwistle

Postby David Entwistle » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:28 pm

Stargazing Show at Armagh Planetarium (see link for details).
Event Date: 18/01/2012
End date 18/01/2012
Event Location: Armagh Planetarium College Hill Armagh BT61 9DB

Planetarium Director Dr Tom Mason has over 40 years experience working with meteorites. He will show you how to identify meteorites and also provide examples of the most commonly misidentified objects which are not meteorites. On display for the first time will be the Planetarium’s latest lunar meteorite acquisition, as well as a fragment of Mars and various other specimens. Feel free to bring along any rock samples that you would like Dr Mason to identify.
David Entwistle

Postby Barwellian » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:41 pm

I am also putting on a display of meteorites for stargazing live at the Long Eaton School/Academy on Monday and Tuesday evenings for their events.....they are just commissioning a very impressive new observatory too.

http://mpole2011.wordpress.com/

Busy week....hope I can recover from my man flu enough to enjoy it all.

Graham
Barwellian

Postby David Entwistle » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Star Attractions at the Museum, National Museum Cardiff. Run by: National Museum Wales, Geology Department (see link for details).

Saturday 21st January

National Museum Cardiff,
Cathays Park,
Cardiff,
CF10 3NP

National Museum Cardiff is running a day of astronomy-themed activities, talks and displays. Hear talks about the world's largest telescopes, and new discoveries from the Herschel Space Observatory.

Experience stargazing through the ages using replicas of Galileo and Newton's telescopes. Think you've found a meteorite? Bring it in and we'll identify it! Explore the Museum's meteorite collection. Use an impact simulator to discover the effects of a meteorite hit on your town! Find out about using large robotic telescopes with Faulkes Telescope Project. Follow a trail into our galleries to discover a Moon rock collected by astronauts. Make your own star patterns in our constellations workshops. See the planets on a giant Solar System model. Find out about local astronomical societies.
David Entwistle

Postby David Entwistle » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:46 pm

Rocks from Space, Wynyard Planetarium, Stockton-on-Tees. Run by: Wynyard Planetarium & Observatory (see link for details).

Friday 20th January.

Planetarium star show about the threat from comets and asteroids to planet Earth.

Lurking out there, in orbit around our star, and occasionally visiting from the interstellar space beyond, are millions of asteroids and comets. Potentially lethal debris from the birth of the Solar System, they could wipe out all life on our planet. Find out more about them, where to find them in the night sky and when The Big One might strike; followed by a chance to see an asteroid (and perhaps a comet) for yourself through our telescopes (weather permitting).
David Entwistle

Postby David Entwistle » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:17 pm

BBC Stargazing LIVE, The Eden Project, Saint Austell. Run by: BBC South West (see link for details).

Tuesday 17th January 2012.

The Eden Project will be opening specially in the evening to host BBC Stargazing LIVE in the South West.

Visitors can find out more about our galaxy by taking a look at the stars through a variety of professional telescopes, visit distant corners of the universe in the Immersive Vision Theatre (a domed cinema screen), see live feeds from observatories around the world and view real meteorites through microscopes.

For younger visitors, there will be a range of activities, including a workshop about the locations of the Moon landings and astronomy-themed colouring in.
David Entwistle

Postby Lufha » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:39 am

Think I'll probably go to the Oxford event, and also have a look at the Meteorite display in the Natural History Museum there (although it probably hasn't changed since I last visited). Does any list member have a contact at the Museum who we could maybe try to arrange a private viewing of more of their collection with? I was just wondering if that is an option if several of us are attending this event in Oxford next week?

Shout if you are interested, although it might be too short notice..

Has a BIMS private viewing of their collection happened in the past?

Luther
Lufha

Postby Barwellian » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Would be great to see you there Luther and anyone else who can make it....Tata will be there!

I can ask my contacts at the University if they know anyone at the University Museum where the meteorites are displayed if a behind the scenes look is possible....will get back to you. It would probably have to be in the morning before the Stargazing Live event starts.
Will let you know what I find out.

If you do come leave time to have a look at the Pitt Rivers Museum at the back attached to the University Museum...it's one of my favourite places....you will need about a month to look around it properly!

G
Barwellian

Next

Return to News