120618 - Professor Monica Grady receives CBE

BIMS news forum, these are the items you read on the main BIMS page. BIMS members please feel free to add comments and discuss the items in this forum.

120618 - Professor Monica Grady receives CBE

Postby David Entwistle » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:40 pm

From the RAS web site:

Prof. Monica Grady receives CBE

RAS Fellow Prof. Monica Grady has been made a Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE), in recognition of her services to space science. Prof. Grady is a leading meteoritics scientist, with a career spanning three decades at the University of Cambridge, the Natural History Museum and now the Open University where she is the Professor of Planetary and Space Science.

Alongside her distinguished contribution to research, Prof. Grady is an enthusiast for 'science in society' and gave the 2003 Royal Institution Christmas Lectures. Asteroid 4731 was named 'MonicaGrady' in her honour.

The Open University, Department of Physical Science web site has:

DPS Head named in Queen's birthday honours

Head of DPS, Professor of Planetary and Space Sciences, Monica Grady, has been awarded a CBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List.

Monica, who is Head of the Department of Physical Science and is based in the Centre for Earth, Planetary, Space & Astronomical Research (CEPSAR), is an expert in meteorites.

She has worked on the development of instruments to examine the Martian surface, and has contributed to a number of space missions, including the European Space Agency's forthcoming ExoMars mission in 2016-18.

Monica said she is "surprised and thrilled" by the honour. "I'd like to say thank you to The Open University for providing a supportive and encouraging environment, and thanks to my all colleagues. I've been really fortunate in working with so many enthusiastic people.

"Space science is not something you do by yourself, it is a team effort."

The CBE is not the first accolade Monica has received. Asteroid 4731, discovered in 1981, was named 'Monicagrady' in her honour.

The STFC web site has:

STFC Chairman and scientific community recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours 2012

Professor Monica Grady, also a former member of STFC's Science Board and Professor of Planetary and Space Science at the Open University, has been awarded a CBE for her services to space science. One of Britain's leading space scientists, her remarkable and fascinating career has seen her curate the UK's national collection of meteorites at the Natural History Museum, developing instruments to examine the surface of Mars, and contributing to a number of space missions. Professor Grady has published numerous papers on meteorites and is Chair of STFC's Solar System Advisory Panel.

On the award Professor Grady said: "I feel both surprised and privileged to have received this honour, particularly as it is a result of research and a career that I thoroughly enjoy. Not only is space science a captivating subject in itself, it is also worth millions of pounds to UK industry, relying heavily on its highly skilled engineers and scientists. I feel particularly passionate about taking my research forward into the lecture theatre to inspire our future generation of space scientists and am therefore grateful for the support I have had over the years from colleagues and the institutions I have worked with."
David Entwistle

Return to News