Meteorite Fall in Denmark

An open forum where all registered users can post on meteorite related topics. No advertisements are permitted in this forum. For access to the secure BIMS members forum please follow the "Join BIMS" link from the main website.

Meteorite Fall in Denmark

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:31 pm

Early days, but there have been increasingly positive reports of a bright fireball, with sonic effects, leading to the recovery of a meteorite fragment in Denmark. The area is, I believe, around Glostrup.

Report here.
David Entwistle

Re: Meteorite Fall in Denmark

Postby Barwellian » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:18 pm

Yes...looks like an OC to me from video reports.... http://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2016-02-0 ... -hoveddoer
Barwellian

Postby David Entwistle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:47 am

Image from DR.dk © DR Nyheder

Location of the fall now given as the suburb of Ejby in the city of Glostrup, ten or so kilometers west of Copenhagen.

55.696 N, 12.409 E

The fireball was reported to have been seen just after 22:00 local time on Saturday 6th February 2016.
David Entwistle

Postby Barwellian » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:50 pm

If you've noticed there are not so many people getting excited by this...mainly I think because almost no chance of any experienced hunters heading that way and thus any specimens available on the market.....the law there is that it all has to be handed over to the museum. This is always going to be an ongoing debate about the proper laws for falls...Canada seems to have it right I think...if there have to be laws...at least there you can apply for permission to export finds so that once the museums/scientists have what they need then others can keep them....this then encourages more people to look for the meteorites and thus more found and the strewn field is extended and documented better....I think countries that have laws about collecting the meteorites are shortsighted and are shooting themselves in the foot...far less material ends up in the museums and with scientists when such laws are enforced.
Barwellian

Postby David Entwistle » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:47 am

David Entwistle

Postby David Entwistle » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:46 am

Now named Ejby.

Name: Ejby
This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: There is no official abbreviation for this meteorite.
Observed fall: Yes, confirmed fall
Year fell: 2016
Mass:help 8.94 kg
David Entwistle

Postby Barwellian » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks David...this one could so easily have been in the sea...close to Copenhagen.
Barwellian

Postby David Entwistle » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:16 am

If I'm understanding this web page correctly, the fragments of the Ejby, as collected and donated,are now on public display in Statens Naturhistoriske Museum.
David Entwistle

Return to BIMS Open Forum